Indonesian Citizens in Wuhan Request Evacuation

    Haufan Hasyim Salengke, Christopher Harindra - 24 Januari 2020 10:53 WIB
    Indonesian Citizens in Wuhan Request Evacuation
    Illustration (Photo:Medcom.id/M Rizal)
    Jakarta: The government has stated there are no Indonesian citizens in China, especially in Wuhan City, who have been exposed to the coronavirus. 

    Nevertheless, Indonesian citizens in Wuhan hope that they could be evacuated as soon as possible if the situation becomes worse.

    "Thank God, no Indonesian citizen has been infected yet. We continue to communicate with the Indonesian Embassy. Evacuation of Indonesian citizens from Wuhan is needed if the situation is worrying," Syaifuddin Zuhri, an Indonesian student at the Central China Normal University, Wuhan, told Media Indonesia on Thursday, January 23, 2020.

    He also revealed that the prices of food ingredients have multiplied due to the spread of the coronavirus ahead of the Chinese New Year.

    "Hotels no longer allow foreign guests to stay. Starting today (yesterday) public transportation to and from Wuhan has stopped until March 31," Zuhri continued.

    The Indonesian Foreign Ministry said the evacuation of citizens from Wuhan was not yet possible because the local government has isolated the city starting yesterday to prevent the coronavirus from spreading.

    "Citizens in Wuhan may not leave. People from outside are also prohibited from entering," said Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Teuku Faizasyah.

    Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi confirmed that until yesterday there had been no reports about Indonesian citizens in Wuhan and surrounding areas exposed to the coronavirus. Based on data from the Indonesian Embassy in December 2019, the number of Indonesian citizens in Wuhan and surrounding areas was recorded at 428 people. 

    "We are intensely communicating with the Indonesian Embassy regarding the presence of Indonesian citizens there," said Foreign Minister Retno.

    Minister of Health Terawan Agus Putranto ensured that Indonesia was ready to prevent and deal with victims of the coronavirus. "We oversee 135 entrances throughout Indonesia. People may enter, but the disease cannot," said the Minister of Health.

    Until yesterday in all of China more than 570 people have been infected with the coronavirus. Most are found in Wuhan, which has a population of 11 million. As many as 17 people have died. 

    Besides Wuhan, the Chinese government has also isolated Huanggang City, which has a population of 7.5 million, to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

    (WAH)


    Bagaimana tanggapan anda mengenai artikel ini?

    Cara untuk mendapatkan Berita terbaru dari kami.

    Ikuti langkah berikut ini untuk mendapatkan notifikasi

    1. Akses Pengaturan/Setting Browser Anda
    2. Akses Notifications pada Pengaturan/Setting Browser Anda
    3. Cari https://m.medcom.id pada List Sites Notifications
    4. Klik Allow pada List Notifications tersebut

    Anda Selesai.

    Powered by Medcom.id