"In order to protect them from disaster, we will relocate the affected residents to safer areas," President Jokowi told journalists during the visit.
"If they are not relocated, they will be prone to similar disasters," President Jokowi noted.
Besides First Lady Iriana, President Jokowi was accompanied by Public Works and Public Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono, Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung, National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) head Doni Monardo, Papua Governor Lukas Enembe and other local officials.
On March 16, flash floods and landslides hit a number of areas in Jayapura regency. According to reports, the natural disaster killed at least 112 people and damaged more than two thousand houses.
On Friday, the Jayapura regency administration called off an emergency period in the region. At the same time, the local government declared a transition period for the next three months.
"153 people suffered severe injuries. 809 suffered light injuries. 17 are still missing," BNPB spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in a written statement on Saturday.
"The number of evacuees is decreasing. About 4,763 people or 963 households currently live in evacuation camps. They are spread in 21 evacuation centers," the BNPB official remarked.
Last month, President Jokowi said that a total of Rp5.1 trillion had been disbursed by the government for houses reconstruction for earthquake victims in West Nusa Tenggara province.
In response to complaints from residents whose houses have not yet been built and are still in the process of data collection, President Jokowi expressed hope that they can remain patient.
“The government is also carrying out reconstruction in Palu, Donggala, Banten and Lampung,” Cabinet Secretary's website quoted President Jokowi as saying.
"the fund must go through several procedures first," President Jokowi explained.